The Thirteen Traveling Journals Project

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Featured Diarist: Heather

Heather, one of the diarists on the Tranquility Taverna list, recently answered these questions, giving us a chance to get to know her better.

DE: Who is your favorite bluegrass performer and how has this person’s music affected your writing and your work?

H: My mother. When I was growing up, my mom and stepdad often sang in bluegrass bands. At the time, I hated it. They would practice while I was trying to sleep, and I could hear the guitar, banjo and mandolin all the way at the back of the house. I thought it was stupid and embarrassing. But, inside, I was proud of my mom. I still love to hear her sing, and I have a tape of one of their bands that I listen to when I am feeling lonely. Her voice transports me back to childhood. I can hear the pick against tight strings and feel the vibrations of everyone around me clapping and tapping their toes. The feeling bluegrass music gives me is the first memory I have of feeling God.

DE: What was your favorite theatre role?

H: I played Ophelia, my senior year of high school. It was just a small school production of different scenes from Shakespeare, but it was so much fun to step into a role that I, at that time, identified with so strongly.

DE: If you could revise the Dewey decimal system, how would you change it?

H: Honestly? I have no idea. I know very little about it for someone who'd like to be a librarian someday.

DE: As both a stepmother and a stepdaughter, what insight about being part of an extended family can you share with us?

H: It's always hard. No matter how civil the divorce was, the aftermath is never pretty for anyone.

DE: What is your favorite part of the novel Rebecca?

H: I love Rebecca herself. She is this dark beauty who manages to hold everyone's attention long after she is gone. The entire book is named for her, and she never even makes an appearance. She is dead before it begins.

A big thank you to Heather for this mini interview. Visit Heather’s website, madame rubies for more insight into her work and her life.

D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home