The Thirteen Traveling Journals Project

Friday, June 24, 2005

How The Project Works

Over the next few months, I will accumulate 13 blank books of various types. Each book will be named.

Interested diarists can contact me and I will create a list for each journal. The journal will pass from person to person on the list for entries, eventually returning to me.

Initially, I will put 20 diarists on the list for each journal. As we get closer to the top, such as at Diarist #17 or so, I will check in. If there’s still plenty of room, I will add people to the list. If, earlier than that, it looks like the book is filling, the person will let me know and the remaining diarists will be put on a different list.

I will keep the list of contact information, which will not be made public. Each diarist will have the person’s information who sent the diarist the journal and the information for the person to whom the journal is sent next. If diarists choose to put an e-mail address on their entry, diarists can contact each other directly; otherwise, an e-mail can be sent to me here and I will forward the message. If the contributors to a particular journal want to form a more interactive group, they can contact me and I will set something up. “Something” means I haven’t yet figured out what yet, but I will! :) One step at a time.

Interested diarists will have to sign a letter of agreement for participation in the project. While I don’t want to pressure anyone or stifle creativity, I want serious participants. I want to avoid someone who signs up in the heat of the moment, but, upon receiving the journal, tosses it in a box and forgets about it.

Diarists are welcome to keep the journal for as short a time as a single day or as long as a month. I’d like to keep them moving, so please forward your journal within a month. Stay in contact with me to let me know when you send a journal and when you receive one, so I know it is safely moving from place to place. Diarists can make as few or as many entries as they wish during their time with the journal. Add sketches, photos, fabric swatches, et al. Please date each entry with the month, the day, and the year. Diarists are welcome to sign their entries with either their legal name or a name used for this project, and include an e-mail address.

Diarists are encouraged to e-mail excerpts of their own entries or responses to previous entries they’ve read at a separate address (I'm having trouble processing the address). I will post those entries on the blog, so that diarists and other interested readers can keep up with the process. No entries will be posted without permission of the author. I will also post the progress and any other journal-related news of interest. Photos of the diaries or the diarist working on an entry are also encouraged.

The first three diaries are expected to go out on or around next month’s Full Moon (July). When filled, they will return to me.

If you are interested, e-mail me here to request a place on the list. As soon as I acquire the first three volumes, I will post their names; feel free to request a specific journal.

Coming soon:
Brainstorming on two potential problems – I’m interested in your viewpoints.
The continuing life of the project once all the journals are completed.

Devon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home